Qualcomm just announced Qualcomm Quick Charge 5, which is the world’s first commercially viable fast charging platform to support more than 100W charging power in a smartphone. It lets you charge devices from 0 to 50 percent battery power in just 5 minutes and 0 to 100% in less than 15 minutes. It also uses Qualcomm Battery Saver and the new Qualcomm Smart Identification of Adapter Capabilities technology for the best efficiency and help extend the battery life cycle on a device.
- Compared to Quick Charge 4, Quick Charge 5 is 70% more efficient and offers 10 times the power delivery of Quick Charge 1. It supports 2S batteries and 20 Volts of power delivery.
- Incorporates 12 separate voltage, current and temperature protections, including USB-input overvoltage protection at 25V and external power controls beyond 30V.
- Runs 10° Celsius cooler than Quick Charge 4.
- Enables Dual/Triple Charge technology, adaptive input voltage, INOV4, Qualcomm Battery Saver and the new Qualcomm Smart Identification of Adapter Capabilities technology, which work together to maximize power transfer efficiency, increase safety and help extend the battery life cycle on a users’ device.
- Backwards compatible with Quick Charge 2.0, 3.0, 4, 4+ and existing handsets powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon mobile platform.
- Offers 100W charging capabilities functions within the same footprint as the previous 45W solution
- Optimized to take advantage of both USB-PD and Type-C technologies
Qualcomm also introduced new, next generation premium tier power management ICs (PMIC), Qualcomm SMB1396 and Qualcomm SMB1398. Supporting 1SnP and 2SnP batteries, wired and wireless input paths, adaptive operation based on the power source (3 level buck and DIV/2), and scalability (primary and secondary to provide higher power), Qualcomm SMB1396 and Qualcomm SMB1398 are engineered to provide maximum efficiency above 98%. These support higher than 20V input voltage operation to accommodate the highest power levels from both wireless and wired power sources.
Quick Charge 5 is currently available for OEMs and is expected to be seen in commercial devices in Q3 2020. Quick Charge 5 is supported on Snapdragon 865, 865 Plus, and future premium- and high-tier Snapdragon mobile platforms.