The amount of people using streaming services has skyrocketed recently due to the COVID-19 pandemic quarantines. With this increased viewership, the chances of younger audiences coming across inappropriate content is also high. To combat this, Netflix is introducing new parental controls for families to help parents make the right viewing decision for their children.
With the new options, parents will have a lot more control over the types of content that they will be exposing their kids to. These settings will be available in the account settings of the parents account, accessible via both a laptop or a mobile browser.
The new settings include:
- PIN protect individual profiles to prevent kids from using the
- Tailor their kids’ Netflix experience by filtering out titles that are not appropriate for their age
- Remove individual series or films by title. When this filter is used, the blocked title(s) won’t show up anywhere in that profile
- Easily review each profile’s setting using the “Profile and Parental Controls” hub within account settings
- See what their kids have been watching within the profile created for them
- Turn off auto play of episodes in kids profiles.
Commenting on the new features, Michelle Parsons, Kids Product Manager, Netflix said:
Choice and control have always been important for our members, especially parents. We hope that these improved controls will help parents make the right choices for their families.
Stephen Balkam, Founder & CEO, Family Online Safety Institute said:
The Family Online Safety Institute believes that online safety is everyone’s concern – from kids to grandparents. Netflix’s parental controls give parents and families the ability to shape the experience they want their kids to have on Netflix, and help keep them safe.