BlackBerry today announced that it will introduce its new smartphone codenamed ‘Athena’ as KEY2 at an event in New York on June 7th. This is the successor to last year’s KEYone that was introduced at the MWC 2017. Recent TENAA certification revealed that this will have the same display and physical QWERTY keyboard, but most other specs will get an upgrade.
This includes Snapdragon 660 SoC, 6GB RAM and dual rear cameras, but it is said to pack a 3360mAh, slightly smaller than the 3505mAh battery on the KEYOne.
BlackBerry KEY2 (BBF100) rumored specifications
- 4.5-inch (1620 x 1080 pixels) 3:2 display with 433 PPI, scratch-resistant glass protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 660 14nm Mobile Platform (Quad 2.2GHz Kryo 260 + Quad 1.8GHz Kryo 260 CPUs) with Adreno 512 GPU
- 6GB RAM, 64GB internal storage, expandable memory up to 2TB with microSD
- 4-row Physical QWERTY backlit keyboard with capacitive touch
- Android 8.1 (Oreo)
- Hybrid dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with dual-tone LED Flash,secondary rear camrea
- 8MP front-facing camera
- Fingerprint sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio
- Dimensions: 151.4×71.8×8.5mm; Weight: 168g
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4 & 5 GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS / GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C
- 3360mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
We should know the price when the phone goes official next month. The KEY2 event starts at 10AM ET (7:30 PM IST) on June 7th, Thursday.