A week after updating the Kindle app, Amazon has released Kindle Lite app for Android in Beta for low-end Android smartphones. Amazon says that the app has been crafted specially for Indian readers. The app is less than 2MB in size so takes significantly less space on the smartphone, works smoothly even on 2G networks and lets you monitor your data usage and manage storage.
It offers similar features as the normal Kindle, lets you shop for books and lets you read books in five Indian languages – Hindi, Tamil, Gujarati, Marathi and Malayalam, apart from English.
Download Amazon Kindle Lite Beta (Free) – Android
Highlights of Amazon Kindle Lite Beta
- Start reading instantly – You do not need to wait for eBooks to download in full to begin reading. If your reading is interrupted, fear not, Kindle Lite saves your last reading position. You can come back to continue reading from where you left off.
- Manage data & storage – Monitor your data usage on Wi-Fi/mobile data and manage storage.
- Works on all networks – Kindle Lite is designed for all networks including those with slower speeds (2/2.5G), and areas with spotty and unstable data connections.
- Sample books before you buy — Read a sample of an eBook for free before you decide to buy.
- Read free books — Choose from thousands of free eBooks.
- Shop for books — Easily shop for eBooks, including new releases and Amazon Best Reads, and pay via Amazon Pay, credit or debit cards, and net banking.
- Read books in 5 Indian languages – Choose from thousands of eBooks in Hindi, Tamil, Gujarati, Marathi and Malayalam.
- Works on most Android phones – Supported on phones with Android 4.4 and above.