HMD Global just announced the flagship Nokia 8 smartphone at an event in London, as it had promised. It packs a 5.3-inch Quad HD display with sculpted Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection, is powered by an Octa-Core Snapdragon 835 Mobile Platform and runs on Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with promised monthly Android security update and will also get the Android O update.
On the back there are 13-megapixel dual rear cameras, one with a colour sensor and the other with a monochrome sensor for low light and dedicated black and white photography. It also has ZEISS optics and OIS. There is also a 13MP auto focus front camera with PDAF and wide angle lens. It has Dual-Sight technology that uses both front and back cameras simultaneously, fusing both images together into one photo or video file.
It also has organic full aluminium unibody design, machined from a single block of 6000 series aluminum, then polished into a luxury mirror finish. Nokia OZO spatial 360-degree audio uses the phone’s 3 microphones and Nokia acoustic technology algorithms to capture the sound in incredible detail then allow playback on the Nokia 8, YouTube and other supporting devices. You can also broadcast live directly to Facebook and YouTube from within the camera app, thanks to the partnership.
Nokia 8 specifications
- 5.3-inch (2560×1440 pixels) Quad HD LCD display at 554ppi pixel density, sculpted Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection, 700 nits brightness
- Octa-Core Snapdragon 835 Mobile Platform with Adreno 540 GPU
- 4GB DDR4X RAM, 64GB (UFS 2.1) storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with microSD
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat), upgradable to Android O
- Single / Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano/microSD)
- 13MP (Colour) primary camera with OIS + 13MP (Mono), ZEISS optics, 1.12um pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, 76.9-degree wide-angle lens, PDAF, IR range finder, dual tone flash
- 13MP auto focus front-facing camera with ZEISS optics, PDAF, 1.12um pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, 78.4˚ lens
- Fingerprint sensor, Barometer
- 3.5mm headphone jack, 3 microphones, Nokia OZO 360° spatial surround sound
- Dimensions: 151.5 x 73.7 x 7.9 mm
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (MIMO), Bluetooth 5.0, GPS/ GLONASS, USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 1, NFC
- 3090mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
The Nokia 8 comes in Polished Blue, Tempered Blue, Steel and Polished Copper colors, is priced at 599 Euros (US$ 700 / Rs. 44,990 approx.) and will start shipping in early September globally and is expected to launch in India in early October. Check out the Nokia 8 hands-on impressions here.