Cat phones, popular for its rugged phones, today announced it’s flagship Cat S60, which becomes the world’s first smartphone with an integrated thermal camera. The company also says that it is the world’s most waterproof smartphone since it is waterproof to depths of up to 5 meters for one hour, allowing it to be used as an underwater camera. It also exceeds military spec since it is built to withstand drops onto concrete from up to 1.8 meters, and it’s dustproof. This display can be viewed in bright sunlight, and the touchscreen can be controlled with wet fingers or while wearing gloves. It is also protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 4.
It has an includes an embedded thermal camera from FLIR. This lets users to detect heat loss around windows and doors, spot moisture and missing insulation, identify over-heating electrical appliances and circuitry and see in complete darkness.
“The thermal camera visualizes heat that is invisible to the naked eye, highlighting temperature contrasts. It can pick up heat and measure surface temperatures from a distance of up to 50 to 100 feet, and see through obscurants such as smoke, enabling a huge range of use cases for building professionals, utility workers, outdoor sports enthusiasts, emergency first responders and more,” said the company.
We went hands on the with the device at MWC 2016 at Barcelona and here are our impressions in the video below:
Cat S60 specifications
- 4.7-inch (1280 x 720 pixels) HD multi-touch 540 nits display with auto wet finger and glove support, Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection
- Octa-Core Snapdragon 617 (4 x 1.5GHz + 4 x 1.2GHz) processor with Adreno 405 GPU
- 3GB RAM, 32GB internal storage
- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
- Underwater 13MP rear camera with dual LED Flash
- 5MP front-facing camera
- Dedicated FLIR thermal camera app with MSX technology
- Drop proof to 1.8m, MIL Spec 810G
- 4G LTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1 and GPS
- 3800mAh battery
The Cat S60 will be unveiled at Mobile World Congress 2016 in Barcelona and will be available later this year for RRP €649 / $599 (Rs. 41055 approx.).