Obi Mobiles, backed by John Scully is now Obi Worldphone. It has introduced Obi Worldphone SF1 and SJ1.5, two new smartphones that are designed by San Francisco-based product studio Ammunition. The Obi Worldphone SF1 has a 5-inch 1080p display from JDI, which is slightly raised giving a floating feel, comes with a 4G LTE connectivity (FDD B3 1800 MHz and TDD B40 2300 MHz) and runs on Android 5.0 (Lollipop) with Obi’s own UI on top. It has a fiberglass body and metal accents at the top and bottom of the phone.
It has a 13-megapixel rear camera with LED flash, Sony IMX214 sensor, Hybrid auto focus for fast focus and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera with LED flash to capture better selfies. It also features Dolby Audio that promises powerful and crystal-clear surround sound though the speakers and with headphones.
The Worldphone SJ1.5 has a 5-inch HD display with 2.5D curved glass, comes with 3G support and runs on Android 5.1 (Lollipop) with Obi’s own UI on top. It has asymmetrical design with squared-off top and a curved bottom. Both these smartphones come pre-loaded with AVG AntiVirus PRO for Android, Swiftkey, AccuWeather, Clean Master, and ColorNote.
Obi Worldphone SF1 specifications
- 5-inch (1920 x 1080 pixels) JDI In-Cell IPS floating glass display with Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection, oleophobic coating
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 Octa-Core (ARM Cortex A53 – 4×1.5GHz + 4×1.0GHz) processor with Adreno 405 GPU
- 2GB RAM with 16GB internal memory / 3GB RAM with 32GB internal memory, expandable up to 64GB with microSD
- Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop)
- Dual (micro + nano) SIM
- 13MP rear camera with LED flash, Sony IMX214 sensor, f/2.0 aperture
- 5MP front-facing camera with LED flash
- Dimensions: 146x74x8mm; Weight: 147g
- Dolby Audio
- 4G LTE/ 3G HSPA+, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n (Dual-Band), Bluetooth 4.0, GPS / GLONASS
- 3000mAh (built-in) battery
Obi Worldphone SJ1.5 specifications
- 5-inch (1280 x 720 pixels) display with 2.5D curved glass, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection, oleophobic coating
- 1.3 GHz MediaTek MT6580 processor with Mali 400 MP2 GPU
- 1GB RAM, 16GB internal storage, expandable memory up to 32GB with microSD
- Android 5.1 (Lollipop)
- Dual (micro) SIM
- 8MP rear camera with OmniVision OV8865 sensor, f/2.2 aperture, LED flash
- 5MP front-facing camera
- Dimensions: 146x73x7.95mm; Weight: 131g
- 3G HSPA+, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS
- 3000mAh (built-in) battery
The Obi Worldphone SF1 is priced at US$199 (Rs. 13,100 approx.) for 2GB RAM with 16GB storage version, and US$249 ( Rs. 16,430 approx.) for 3GB RAM with 32GB storage version. The Obi Worldphone SJ1.5 is priced at $129 (Rs. 8,500 approx.). These smartphones will be available starting in October. These will first roll out in growing markets such as Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania, South Africa, Pakistan, Turkey and India, and will be available in 50 to 70 high-growth countries by 2017.