Samsung just announced the Galaxy Tab Active, the company’s first rugged Galaxy Tablet with anti-shock covering that can withstand a 1.2-meter drop, with the protective cover on. It is also water and dust resistant with IP67 certification. It has 8.0-inch WXGA displays, powered by 1.2 quad-core processor and runs on Android 4.4 (KitKat). It comes in WiFi and 3G / LTE variants. It has physical keys below the display.
Most of the specifications are similar to the Galaxy Tab4 8.0 that was unveiled back in April, but unlike the Tab4 8.0, this has a removable back cover with 4,450mAh user replaceable battery and built-in POGO pin charging. It also comes with a C-Pen stylus at the top of the protective Galaxy Tab Active cover for an alternative input. The tablet is inspired by professionals and designed specifically to boost business productivity, says Samsung.
Samsung Galaxy Tab Active specifications
- 8.0-inch (1280 x 800 pixel) WXGA display
- 1.2 GHz quad-core Processor
- 1.5GB RAM, 16GB internal memory, microSD (up to 64GB)
- Android 4.4 (KitKat)
- 9.75mm thick and weighs 393g
- IP67 certification for dust and water resistance, Anti-shock covering
- 3.1MP auto focus rear camera with LED flash
- 1.2MP front-facing camera
- 4G LTE / 3G HSPA+, Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, GPS, GLONASS, NFC
- 4,450mAh (User-replaceable)
The Samsung Galaxy Tab Active comes in Titanium Green and it comes with the Protective Cover and the C-Pen. No word on pricing or availability yet.