HTC just announced its flagship U11 smartphone. It has Edge Sensor for new squeeze interaction that lets you launch the camera, send text messages, open email or customize it to launch any application. It also lets you activate advanced touch and use a “short squeeze” as well as a “squeeze and hold” for even more functionality.
“Because Edge Sense is based on actual pressure applied to the side of the device, it can be used in nearly any condition – including while wearing gloves or in weather such as snow or rain that would normally be a challenge with capacitive buttons,” said the company. It runs on Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with HTC Sense UI.
The the phone has liquid glass surface crafted using Optical Spectrum Hybrid Deposition. HTC says that it is created by layering highly-refractive precious minerals across the phone’s back cover, creating vivid new colors that transforms light. It has 5.5-inch Quad HD 3D glass screen on the front and 3D glass on the back as well. It is also dust and water-resistant with IP67 ratings.
It has USB-C audio and the new HTC USonic combines Active Noise Cancellation with the ability to tune audio to your unique hearing. It uses built-in microphones on the headset and USB-C data connectivity, USonic earbuds map inner ear with an advanced sonar-like technology and then adapt the sound profile to your unique biology. “This creates an incredibly personal and optimized listening experience with vibrant audio shaped specifically for you,” says HTC.
It also offers Active Noise Cancellation, which reduces disruptions and distractions around you, so you can stay focused on your music. It continuously monitors environmental sound levels, and quickly adjusts to any new noises or disturbances. HTC BoomSound Hi-Fi Edition speakers promises more loudness and better Dynamic Range Audio.
It has four optimally positioned omni-directional microphones that work together to record audio from all directions, and when shooting video with Acoustic Focus, you can visually zoom in to target your subject and amplify their specific sounds. It also comes with an USB-C to 3.5mm adapter with a built-in DAC. It has HTC Sense Companion, Google Assistant, and Amazon Alexa. In China, it comes with Duer AI Assistant: Powered by Baidu DuerOS.
It has 12MP HTC UltraPixel 3 on the back multi-axis optical image stabilization (OIS), dual LED flash and f/1.7 aperture. HTC says that the camera beats the Google Pixel by achieving DxOMark score of 90, the highest ever rating for a smartphone camera for both photo and video. It also has Auto HDR Boost that offers clearer, more balanced pictures by taking multiple shots that measure the darkest shadows and brightest highlights without any slowdown.
HTC U11 specifications
- 5.5-inch (1440 x 2560 pixels) Quad HD Super LCD 5 display with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- 2.45GHz Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 MobilePlatform with Adreno 540 GPU
- 6GB RAM with 128GB storage (UFS 2.1), 4GB RAM with 64GB storage, expandable memory up to 2TB with microSD
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with HTC Sense UI, HTC Edge Sense,HTC Sense Companion
- Single / Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP HTC UltraPixel 3 rear camera with 1.4μm pixel, dual LED flash, f/1.7 aperture, OIS, UltraSpeed Autofocus, RAW capture, 4K video recording with 3D Audio, Hi-Res stereo recording, and Acoustic Focus, 120fps slow mo video at 1080p
- 16MP front-facing camera with 1080p video recording
- Water and dust resistant (IP67)
- Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 153.9 x 75.9 x 7.9mm; Weight: 169g
- USB-C audio, HTC USonic with Active Noise Cancellation,HTC BoomSound Hi-Fi edition, 3D Audio recording with 4 microphones, Hi-Res audio certified
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4 and 5 GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS with GLONASS, NFC, USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 1
- 3000mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0
The HTC U11 comes in Amazing Silver, Sapphire Blue, Brilliant Black, Ice White, and Solar Red, and will start rolling out in select countries from next week and will be available worldwide from June, 2017. It is priced at €749 (Rs. 52,895 approx.) in Europe, £649 (Rs. 53760 approx.) in UK and $696 (Rs. 44595 approx.) (Only with contract currently) in the U.S. India will get the 6GB RAM with 128GB storage version soon."HTC U11 with Edge Sense squeeze interaction, Snapdragon 835, 6GB RAM, Android 7.1 announced",