Nokia’s Symbian Roadmap Announced-Interesting Details!
Just yesterday, we brought to you the screenshots of the Symbian^3 and Symbian^4 UI. Now more details have emerged about Symbian^3 and Symbian^4 and even Nokia’s plans about Symbian^5 and Symbian^6.
Nokia says that since Symbian is an open platform, it is better to reveal it’s future plans for the platform to us.
Till date there are 35 phones running on the Symbian^1 platform from different companies including Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Sharp and Fujitsu. Symbian is the most widely used platform for mobile phones and consists of 47% of smart-phones worldwide. Over 79 million Symbian handsets were shipped in 2009 alone. Over 100,000 man years were spent on development and more than 300 million phones sold to date.
Symbian^3 Main Points:
- Devices will run of Dual-Core Cortex A9
- Video recording will be allowed upto 1080p (Full HD)
- High end 3D Graphics accelerator for PC like web browsing
- Big Step forward in UI (User Interface) which minimises taps, adds multi-touch etc.
- HDMI Output, HD Streaming
- Multiple Homescreens
Symbian^4 Main Points:
- Totally new user experience
- Next generation graphics
- Most application will be written on QT platform
- Symbian^3 devices will be available from 2nd Half of 2010 ie July onwards.
- Symbian^4 devices will be available from 1st Half of 2011.
- Symbian^5 devices will be available from 2nd Half of 2011.
- Symbian^6 devices will be available from 1st Half of 2012.