Motorola has started rolling out the Android 4.4 KitKat update for the Moto G earlier than expected. Moto G gets the Android 4.4.2 update directly, skipping the Android 4.4.1 update. The new update brings Android KitKat features such as restyled status and navigation bars, full-screen mode, color emoji, smarter power use and more. In our Moto G review we felt the camera was too plain and lacked some important features. This update finally brings new camera features, including the most expected manual focus and exposure control.
Here is the complete changelog that details all the new features in the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update
- Android 4.4, KitKat – Enhancements such as restyled status and navigation bars, a new full-screen mode, color emoji support, improved closed captioning support, stronger security, smarter power use, and more tools and capabilities for better app development.
- Phone dialer – Improved phone app with the ability to look up contacts directly from the dial pad, see and tap frequent contacts, and search your corporate directory easily.
- Camera – Locked exposure during Panorama capture, additional language support, Manual control of focus and exposure, Bug fixes
- Gallery – New photo editing options including new filter effects, draw on your photos, advanced cropping, and adjustments to color, exposure, contrast and more.
- Printing documents and pictures – Support for printing photos, Google Docs, GMail messages, and other content via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and hosted services like Google Cloud Print and HP ePrinters.
- Hangouts – SMS/MMS support Incorporated a new version of Google Hangouts that supports integrated SMS/MMS messaging. Hangouts can be set as the default SMS app under Settings > Wireless > Default SMS app.
- Accessory support Added support for Square credit card reader.
The Motorola Moto G Android 4.4 KitKat update (v172.44.4.falcon_umts.Retail.en.US) is available as an over-the-air (OTA) update. Motorola has also started rolling out Android 4.4 update for the DROID ULTRA, DROID MAXX, and DROID MINI.