Instagram, which is owned by Meta, has released a new upgrade that allows you to converse while browsing your feed. This new multitasking option will allow you to reply to incoming messages instantly without having to switch between feeds and inbox.
New chats will also appear at the top of the feed, and you can continue to respond by clicking on the message. Instagram is also introducing a shortcut that will make it easier to share posts. The update now includes features like the ability to share music previews, send silent messages, see who’s online to chat with, and much more.
Six new features on Instagram
- Reply while you browse: Receive a new message while you’re browsing your feed? You can now reply without going to your inbox and losing your place. This new feature makes it that much easier and more convenient to chat while on the app.
- Quickly send to friends: We want to help people reshare interesting content without interrupting their Instagram experience. By tapping and holding the share button, you can effortlessly reshare posts to your closest friends.
See who’s online: At the top of your inbox, you can see who’s free to chat at that moment, helping you find serendipitous opportunities to connect with friends.
- Play, pause, and re-play: Enabled by integrations with Apple Music, Amazon Music and Spotify coming soon, you can now share a 30-second preview of that song you just can’t get out of your head, and your friends can listen directly from the chat window.
- Send messages quietly: Send messages without notifying friends late at night or when they’re busy by adding “@silent” in your message. Now you can reach out without worrying about sending unwanted notifications.
- Keep it on the lo-fi: Feeling chill? Try the new lo-fi chat theme to make your conversations feel more personal.
- Create a poll with your squad: Deciding where to go to dinner or what time to meet up? We’re bringing one of Messenger’s most beloved group chat features to Instagram, so you can create a poll directly in your group chat.
Commenting on the features, an Instagram post says,
“These new features are available in select countries, with plans to expand globally. We’re always working to improve how you connect and share with your closest friends — stay tuned for more fun ways to connect. This announcement is part of our ongoing work to improve how you connect and share with your closest friends.”