Google just announced its Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL smartphones at an event in the US. The Pixel 4 has a 5.7-inch FHD+ OLED screen and the Pixel 4 XL has a 6.3-inch QHD+ OLED screen, both with 90Hz refresh rate. These are powered by Snapdragon 855 with 6GB of RAM and run Android 10 with 3 years of Android updates and security updates. There is Google’s custom-built Titan M security chip. These have a 12.2-megapixel camera along with a new 16-megapixel telephoto lens for super Res Zoom feature. Night Sight now lets you capture shots of the night sky, the stars, and even the Milky Way. Pixel 3 and 3a will also get a version of this capability with the latest camera app update, confirmed the company.
With Pixel 4, you can fine-tune the brightness and amount of detail in the shadows, helping with difficult shots like sunset portraits. There is also Live HDR+ in the viewfinder so you know exactly what your photo will look like. There are Google Assistant improvements that lets you quickly open apps, search your phone, share what’s on your screen easily. It also considers the context of your query to do a better job answering.
The new Motion Sense feature powered by Project Soli uses a miniature radar sensor to detect movement around your phone. It can sense when you’re reaching for the phone and will initiate face unlock, or turn off your screen when you’re not around. Quick Gestures let you skip songs, snooze alarms, dismiss timers, or silence your phone ringer. Motion Sense is enabled everywhere Pixel 4 is sold, except in Japan where it’s coming soon, said the company.
There is also a new Recorder app that lets you record anything you want to save and listen to later—and simultaneously transcribes speech and identifies sounds like music and applause. You can easily search within your recordings to quickly find a specific word or sound. All of this happens on-device, and doesn’t require connection. English is now available for transcription and search, with more languages coming soon.
These have an Aluminum frame, matte finish hybrid coating and has Soft touch or polished glass with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection on the back, and comes with IP68 ratings for dust and water resistance.
Google Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL specifications
- Pixel 4 – 5.7-inch (2280 x 1080 pixels) FHD+ OLED 19:9display, 444 PPI, HDR support, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Pixel 4 XL – 6.3-inch (2960 x 1440 pixels) Quad HD+ OLED 19:9 display, 537 PPI, HDR support, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 7nm Mobile Platform (Max 2.84GHz + 2.42Ghz + 1.8GHz) with Adreno 640 GPU
- 6GB DDR4X RAM, 64GB / 128GB storage
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12.2MP rear camera with LED flash, 1.4μm pixel size, ƒ/1.7 aperture, 77° FOV, Dual PD auto focus, OIS, EIS, 16 MP Telephoto lens, 1μm pixel size, f/2.4 aperture, Spectral + flicker sensor, 4K video recording at up to 30 fps, 720p at up to 240 fps
- 8MP auto focus front camera with 1.22μm pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, 90° FOV, 1080p 30fos video recording
- Active Edge
- Water and dust Resistant (IP68)
- Stereo speakers, 3 microphones
- Pixel 4 Dimensions: 147.1 x 68.8 x 8.2mm; Weight: 162g
- Pixel 4 XL Dimensions: 160.4 x 75.1 x 8.2mm; Weight: 193g
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac 2x2MIMO (2.4/5 GHz), Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS, USB Type-C Gen 1 , NFC
- Pixel 4– 2800mAh (Pixel 4) / 3700mAh (Pixel 4 XL) battery with 18W fast charging, Qi wireless charging
These come in Just Black, Clearly White and Limited Edition Oh So Orange colors. The Pixel 4 is priced at $799 (Rs. 57,105 approx.) and $899 (Rs. 64,250 approx.) for 64GB and 128GB versions, respectively and the Pixel 4 XL is priced at $899 (Rs. 64,250 approx.) and $999 (Rs. 71,400 approx.), for the for 64GB and 128GB versions, respectively. These are available for pre-order in the US and several countries and will ship from October 24, but will not launch in India.