MediaTek at the Computex 2019 in Taiwan today announced the company’s first 5G SoC built using 7nm FinFET process technology and MediaTek Helio M70 5G modem built in. It uses the latest Cortex-A77 CPU, Mali-G77 GPU and MediaTek’s most advanced AI processing unit (APU). The multi-mode 5G chipset is for 5G stand alone and non-stand alone (SA/NSA) sub-6GHz networks. It supports connectivity from 2G to 4G to bridge existing network access while 5G networks roll out globally.
The SoC supports LTE and 5G dual connectivity (EN-DC) with dynamic power sharing capability, plus multi-mode support for every cellular connectivity generation from 2G to 5G. It also has dynamic bandwidth switching technology that allocates 5G bandwidth required for specific applications to improve modem power efficiency by 50 percent and extend battery life.
Highlights of MediaTek 5G SoC
- Helio M70 5G modem: MediaTek designed Helio M70 5G modem integrated into the SoC. 4.7 Gbps download speeds and 2.5 Gbps upload speeds Intelligent power savings and comprehensive power management. Multi-mode support — 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G — and dynamic power sharing for the best connectivity.
- New AI architecture: Sports an all new AI processing unit. Supports more advanced AI applications, including for imaging like de-blur so users get great shots even when subjects are moving fast.
- Latest CPU technology: MediaTek’s 5G SoC is a performance powerhouse with the just announced new ARM Cortex-A77 CPU.
- State-of-the-art GPU: A robust new Arm Mali-G77 GPU that enables seamless extreme streaming and gaming experiences at 5G speeds.
- Innovative 7nm FinFET: Worlds’ first 5G SoC built on the cutting-edge 7nm production process for big energy savings in a compact package.
- Speedy throughput: A peak throughput of 4.7Gps download (sub-6GHz) and New Radio (NR) 2 Component Carrier (CC) support. Supports both non-standalone (NSA) and standalone (SA) 5G network architectures.
- Powerful Multimedia & Imaging performance: Supports 4K video encode/decode at 60fps and super high resolution camera (80MP).
MediaTek said that it working with leading cellular operators, equipment makers and suppliers to verify the market readiness of its 5G technologies for mobile and also for smart homes and smart cars. Companies collaborating with MediaTek on RF technology include OPPO, Vivo and top tier RF suppliers like Skyworks, Qorvo, and muRata, designing the front end module that can accommodate 5G and still keep the device thin and stylish.
The current MediaTek 5G SoC is designed for global Sub-6GHz 5G networks that are launching in Asia, North America and Europe. The MediaTek 5G SoC will be available for OEMs in Q3 of 2019 and will roll out in commercial devices by Q1 of 2020. Full specifications will be introduced in the coming months.