Meizu has announced Zero, the company’s latest top-end smartphone with an unique design that gets rid of all the ports and buttons ahead of the Vivo APEX 2019 announcement tomorrow. This gets rid of the 3.5mm audio jack, which is not surprising, but this also doesn’t have a USB Type-C port, instead it only relies on custom designed 18W wirless fast charging. The company says that uses have to rely on Bluetooth for wireless audio listening.
It has a waterproof body with IP68 ratings and uses mSound 2.0 screen sound technology that uses the phone’s screen as a speaker and the earpiece. Meizu says that it has advanced internal layout and better audio materials for improved sound quality for louder audio compared to earlier technologies. It features pressure-sensitive power and volume buttons using Meizu-specific mEngine 2.0 on the sides like the HTC Edge Sense squeeze interaction. It uses eSIM, so it gets rid of the SIM slot as well.
This has a 5.99-inch AMOLED display, is powered by Snapdragon 845, features an in-display fingerprint sensor, 12-megapixel rear camera with Sony IMX380 sensor along with a 20-megapixel secondary telephoto lens with Sony IMX350 sensor and a 20-megapixel front facing camera, similar to the Meizu 16th.
Meizu Zero specifications
- 5.99-inch ( 1080 × 2160 pixels) Full HD+ Super AMOLED display
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 Mobile Platform with Adreno 630 GPU
- Android-based Flyme 7
- 12MP rear camera with wide-angle lens, 1/2.3″ Sony IMX380 sensor, 1.55μm pixel size, f/1.8 aperture, 4-axis OIS, PDAF, Laser auto-focus, secondary 20MP telephoto lens, Sony IMX350 sensor, f/2.6 aperture, 6-LED ring LED flash
- 20MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture, AI face unlock
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Waterproof and dustproof (IP68)
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz) 2 x 2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5, GPS + GLONASS
- 18W wireless super fast charging
The Meizu Zero comes in Black and White colors, but the company says that it will take time for the release since eSIM needs regulatory approval so it has not announced the pricing or availability details yet.