Qualcomm at the Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2017 introduced the Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 Mobile Platform successor of last year’s Snapdragon 435 that is being used in several budget 4G smartphones, including the Xiaomi Redmi 4 . Targeted at mid-range smartphones and tablets, this is the first one in the Snapdragon 400 series that is based on 14nm FinFET process and has up to 1.8GHz ARM Cortex A53 cores and Adreno 506 GPU promising 25% increase in compute performance and graphics performance compared to the predecessor. It also has USB 3.0 support, Quick Charge 3.0, Snapdragon X9 LTE modem and 802.11ac with MU-MIMO support.
It supports up to 21MP for a single camera, dual 13MP + 13MP cameras with RGB and Monochrome sensor combination, Real-time Bokeh, Qualcomm Clear Sight camera features and more, 1080p at 60fps video recording and even Eye based authentication, again for the first time in the Snapdragon 400 series.
Highlights of Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 Mobile Platform
- Octa-Core – up to 1.8GHz Quad Cortex A53 + Quad Cortex A53 CPUs
- 14nm process technology
- Integrated X9 LTE, with Global Mode LTE FDD, LTE TDD, WCDMA (DC-HSPA+, DC-HSUPA), CDMA1x, EV-DO, TD-SCDMA and GSM/EDGE
- Cat 7 speeds of up to 300 Mbps down via 2×20 MHz carrier aggregation in the downlink and Cat 13 speeds of up to 150 Mbps uplink via 64-QAM
- Support for LTE Broadcast, LTE Dual SIM, VoLTE, Wi-Fi calling with LTE call continuity, HD and Ultra HD Voice (EVS)
- Qualcomm Adreno 506 GPU
- Hexagon DSP
- Up to 21 MP single camera, Up to 13 MP dual camera
- Qualcomm Clear Sight camera features, Hybrid Autofocus
- Supports up to QXGA (1920 x 1200) displays
- 1080p capture at 60fps, HEVC (H.265) encode and decode
- Dual-band 802.11ac with MU-MIMO, Glonass, BeiDou, GNSS and Bluetooth
- Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 technology
The Snapdragon 450 will be available for commercial sampling to OEMs in Q3 2017, and is expected to arrive on consumer devices in Q4 2017.
Regarding the new mobile platform, Kedar Kondap, vice president,
product management, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., said:
We’ve made many recent changes to the Snapdragon Mobile Platforms as part of our vision to deliver the most advanced mobile functionality at the best possible value, and the Snapdragon 450 Mobile Platform is another realization of that vision. With the Snapdragon 450, users are going
to see a dramatically improved level of performance, connectivity, battery life and imaging performance.