VideoLAN has the VLC media player back in the Apple iTunes Store after it was pulled out for unknown reason when it was launched back in 2011. Now the company has released it as a new app with the version number 2.0.1 that has been rewritten from ground-up. This brings new features including WiFi upload that would let you upload media to your iOS device over WiFi, Dropbox integration to browse files and folders to download media for offline playback. You can also adjust the Brightness, Contrast, Hue and Saturation in real time.
Features of VLC for iPhone and iPad
- Play all files, in all formats, including exotic ones, like classic VLC media player.
- Play MKV, multiple audio tracks (including 5.1), and subtitles tracks (including SSA!).
- Support for network streams, including HLS, MMS or RTSP.
- Include video filters, playback speed manipulation, and fine seeking.
- A video media library, with WiFi Upload, Dropbox integration and optional passcode lock.
- Integration for bluetooth headsets and AirPlay.
- Supports iOS 5.1 or later including the first iPad.
- Completely free, libre and open source.
VideoLAN promises that Google Drive and Microsoft Skydrive would be available in future releases. VideoLAN released the VLC Player Beta for Android back in July last year. The app is still in Beta stage. No details when the final version is expected.
[Update: The app is now available in the Apple iTunes Store in India. Go Download!]