Apple has introduced Apple Pay Later services in the U.S. This allows users to split purchases into four payments, spread over six weeks, with no interest and no fees.
With Apple Pay Later, you can
- Apply for Apple Pay Later loans of $50 to $1,000, which can be used for online and in-app purchases made on iPhone and iPad with merchants that accept Apple Pay.
- Easily track, manage, and repay Apple Pay Later loans in one convenient location in Apple Wallet.
- Easily see the total amount due for all the existing loans, as well as the total amount due in the next 30 days
- Also choose to see all upcoming payments on a calendar view in Wallet to help track and plan payments.
- Receive notifications via Wallet and email before repayment
Apple said that purchases using Apple Pay Later are authenticated using Face ID, Touch ID, or passcode, and users’ transaction and loan history are never shared or sold to third parties for marketing or advertising.
Apple Pay Later is enabled through the Mastercard Installments program. Goldman Sachs is the issuer of the Mastercard payment credential used to complete Apple Pay Later purchases.
Apple said that it has started inviting select users to access a prerelease version of Apple Pay Later in the U.S., with plans to offer it to all eligible users in the coming months.