Motorola on target to sell 1 million Droid phones
Motorola – Most analysts had written the company off and some were expecting a take over. Moto even considered selling off its handset business which was posting heavy losses quarter after quarter. And now looks like the Handset maker is back in the game. The same analysts are estimating that Motorola is on target to sell 1 million Moto Droid phones on the Verizon network reports Om Malik Motorola and Verizon have sold close to 800,000 phones already in this Quarter. The Droid is QWERTY Slider running on the Google Android 2.0 (Eclair) platform. It boasts of the large screen and a 5 MP Camera. It also runs on a really reliable Verizon network. The success of the Droid can be attributed to the following reasons.
- Verizon users badly needed a high end smartphone.
- Motorola is still a respectable handset brand in the States .
- Great marketing strategy by the trio of Moto, Verizon and Google
- Consumers love Google and Android too.
- The most important reason is the Brilliant Timing of the launch when all other handset makers and carriers don’t have a new handset to showcase and are playing it safe due to the economy.
There have been a lot of positive reviews about the Droid and a few complaints from users about battery life and camera. But on the whole its been a great success for Motorola going with Android.
The reason I covered this piece was to highlight the fast rise of Android in the Mobile space. Google is getting a lot of things right with Android and we can’t wait to see future Android phones.