iPhone coming to T-Mobile USA next year not Verizon
The Street is reporting that Apple might be bringing the iPhone to T-Mobile USA next year instead of Verizon. This news comes amidst Verizon promoting the Google Android based MotoDroid in USA heavily . The interesting fact is that Apple is already selling the iPhone on T-Mobile in select markets in Europe.
Things have been turning sour between biggies Apple and Google recently , and Apple might go with T-Mobile and break the exclusivity deal with AT&T. Verizon is the largest carrier in the USA and satisfaction levels of consumers are pretty high compared to disgruntled AT&T users. AT&T is the second largest carrier and saw a huge turn around after the exclusive deal to sell the iPhone on its Network. But off-late many high profile iPhone users including Michael Arrington of Techcrunch and Om Malik of GigaOM have moved to T-Mobile mainly due to the dropped calls on AT&T.
Apple’s interest in T-Mobile may be justified by the following facts
- An existing relationship in other markets
- T-Mobile’s support for iPhone even in USA ( The Ultra Cool T-mobile reps are certainly helpful )
- A large number of Jailbroken iPhones on T-Mobile’s Network already
- Apple thinks CDMA is dead and wants to stick with GSM. Adding support for the T-Mobile 3G Band is relatively easy.
But some facts about T-Mobile that might not amuse Apple
- They have a relatively small userbase
- Their 3G Coverage is not great
- T-Mobile was the first carrier to launch the Android based G1 in USA
What do think ? Should Apple go with Verizon or T-Mobile ?