Vodafone and Research in Motion(RIM) have officially announced the BlackBerry Storm2, a touchscreen smartphone device. The BlackBerry Storm2 is a thinner and sleeker device with new technology and new features to let customers stay easily connected. Customers in the UK will be able to get the new smartphone first through Vodafone. It is also expected to be offered in Ireland, followed by Germany, Netherlands, Spain, France, Italy and South Africa in November or December.
Storm2 Basic Features:
- 3.25-inch 360 x 480 resolution
- 3.2 megapixel autofocus camera
- Video recording
- 1400mAh battery that provides approximately 6 hours of talk time on 3G networks and 280 hours of standby time
- 3.5mm stereo headset jack
- 2GB of internal memory
- 256 MB of Flash memory
- dedicated volume controls
- Bluetooth (2.1) and Wi-FI 802.11 b/g
- High speed 3G
- microSD card slot
- Inertial Scrolling w/Snap Back
- BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0
- Enhanced SMS UI – notifications, emoticons, threaded chats
- Updated spin boxes
- Built-in GPS for maps and other location-based applications, as well as photo geotagging
- RIM’s Storm2 features improved SurePress technology, which gives a tactile response when pressing on the phone’s capacitive touchscreen(INFO) display. The technology responds equally to pressure placed on the screen. Typing-speed response has also been enhanced. It allows the user to type a letter with one thumb even while their other thumb may still be touching or resting on another letter, enabling faster typing and multi-key actions such as Shift or Alt -key combinations.
- Users can enjoy their music with standard headphones that utilize a 3.5mm stereo headset jack or Bluetooth for use with stereo headphones after synchronizing the music to the device from iTunes using BlackBerry Media Sync,.
- More responsive experience and includes usability and visual enhancements such as inertial scrolling, spin boxes that make it easier to set dates and times, gradient shading on buttons and more use of animation.
- Manage Microsoft Exchange email folders (Add, Rename, Move, Delete) on the handset. Allows users to access remote files shares (Windows Shares), Save, View, Edit, and Email documents from remote file shares, Forward appointments and view calendar attachments on the handset.
- Features a proximity sensor that powers down the display when the phone is next to your ear on a call. As soon as you pull the phone away from your ear the screen powers on and you can enable calling feature.
Pricing is said to depend on each country’s operating company. Vodafone UK will be offering the BlackBerry Storm2 free from £35 per month on a 24-month contract that includes 600 minutes talk-time, unlimited BlackBerry Internet Service, unlimited text messaging, as well as unlimited access to VMI (Vodafone Mobile Internet) and broadband.